Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Miracles

I went to the gym yesterday with Nick, and as I got on the elipitcal machine I looked up at the TV to see, spread across multiple channels, live images of an Air France jet that had skidded of the runway during a severe thunderstorm in Toronto, and burst into flames. TV reports were quoting wittnesses who said the plane was on fire almost instantly. I remember thinking, maybe a couple of people survived that. At most 50 out of the 200 they were saying were on board. But I woke up this morning to find out that all 309 passangers survived. All I have to say is "wow!!" Serious kudos to the flight attendants on board, who are trained to get everybody off in 90 seconds, not to mention the lucky stars that must have aligned last night. I bring this up because last night as I was watching the TV at the gym my stomach tensed up a bit. While I don't fly Air France, I do fly pretty frequently. Not to mention the fact that only three weeks ago it was my plane from Frankfurt that was landing in Toronto. Although for me it was just after a storm, not during it. This whole incident just serves to remind us that even in this day and age, with ultra-reliable aircraft, sometimes things still can go wrong. At least this time though it all turned out ok.

1 comment:

TOS said...

my stomach when churning when i saw the video - it's a miracle they are alive - but you're right props to the FA's maybe now people will treat them more like professionals and not just waiters and waitresses in the sky - they serve a safety function which is #1 in their jobs