Friday, February 17, 2006

Subways & Studios

Yesterday was my first full day in Tokyo. My jetlagged ass woke up at 5am, which was not so cute. Suman had to work so I figured I'd go explore the neighborhood a bit. The area where he lives, Rappongi, is filled with embassys and such, so there are a lot of foreigners around. I wandered over to Rappongi Hills, which is a prety big shopping mall/park/office area. I wandered around there for a while but didn't find anything to purchase (I am on a mission for a new pair of jeans and some hot shoes).

Last night, Suman took me over to Sinjuku-ni-chome, which is the gay area. Girls, it is NOTHING like Dupont. It was my first time on the subway. Def different than either DC, or NY. To get to the bar, GB, we had to go down a treacherous pair of steps to a little doorway. I was just waiting for some man to slide a little panel over and ask us what the password is. There was no password, but we get inside and I discover that the bar is about the size of the upstairs of JR's. T-I-N-Y. Even though it was the size of Twin Sister's studio, I had a great time. It actually reminded me a lot of JR's. There were TV's on the walls playing the same Madonna videos, the bartenders were really friendly, and everyone seemed to be having a good time. A numerous drinks we left and went to a "club." I use the term club loosely as the club could not be bigger than the upstairs at Halo. The dancefloor was miniscule and music was "eeh" but still it was a good time.


Dear JR's customers,

We've decided on institute a couple of new policy's that have been very successful with our Japanese counterparts.

1. There will be no tipping. If you try and tip us we will throw the money back at you.

2. The JR's bar-backs will be on you like white on rice. If you put a cigarette out, the ashtray will be quickly replaced. When you set your drink down after finishing, the glass will be quickly removed and you will be asked if you'd like another.

These changes are designed to make your bar experience more enjoyable and will be instituted immediately.

Thanks,
-Management

1 comment:

Chuck said...

I miss you! Come home!