Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Things That Make You Go Hmmmm....

I met up with Jeff Gannon (of White House reporter fame) for drinks last night at Tapatini's on Capitol Hill (which is a nice place BTW, but too bad you have to trek over the river and through the woods to get there). Anyway, I was invited for a cocktail after he read my comment about his interview with MeetJustin. Now, some of you are probabaly wondering, "Good god, why would you do something like that?" And my answer to you would be, "Umm, why not?"

I knew, of course, that our views on a lot of things would be vastly different. What caught me off guard, however, was the number of things on which I found myself agreeing with him. For example the virtues of incrementalism, or the pathetic state of the Democratic leadership. Now look, I'm a liberal just as much as the next guy, but don't you all (those of you that follow politics anyway) cringe just a little when Nancy or Harry open their mouths?

On to incrementalism. I'd like to compare the fight for gay marriage to trying to cook a frog. I've never actually cooked a frog but I've heard this is how it works. Anyway, you've got a frog. You want to cook it. You boil some water and drop the frog in. Lo and behold, the frog jumps out as obvi the water is to hot. Now, if you drop the frog in cold water and slowly bring it to a boil, it won't notice and eventually you'll have cooked frog. In my mind, this is similar to the fight for gay marriage. If you try and throw the public head first into full blown gay marriage (ie. boiling water) they'll recoil in fear and suddenly we have states passing amendments left and right outlawing that sort of thing. On the other hand, if you start out with little things like hospital visitation or ingeritance rights, and slowly work your way up, the public might just not notice. Sadly, however, its probably too late for that. The bright spot we (the gays) have is that the younger generations just don't seem to care as much about this issue.

Anyway, Just my 2 cents...

1 comment:

Hateful, Party of One said...

What an awesome experience to meet him. I hope he's as fascinating as the media portrayed him to be.