Monday, January 09, 2006

Eastward Bound


Well I've finally gotten my ticket to go visit Suman in Tokyo. February 15th-21st. I have to say that I'm UBER excited. And a little bit nervous. I've never been to Japan, or anywhere else in Asia for that matter so this will be entirely new for me. I've got Europe down pretty good though...

I'm excited to go someplace entirely new and different, and I'm sure that I'm going to have an amazing time. Suman will have only been there for two weeks when I get there, so I'm sure we'll have a great time exploring different parts of the city. Overall, I really have no idea what to expect. So if any of you have some tips on what to do, what not to do, what's a must see, and what's a must avoid. Please please please please let me know. I could use all the help I can get.

PS. For those of you that care. I'm flying United (obviously) from Dulles to JFK, and then JFK nonstop for THIRTEEN AND A HALF HOURS to Tokyo. That is one long. ass. flight. On my way back I'm flying through San Francisco and I'm now kinda regretting that decision. Originally I thought it be nice as my mom would come and meet me for breakfast or lunch at the airport (there are a bunch of restaurants outside security there). But I'm really not looking forward to the flight in economy on a 747. It is dreadful!

PPS. I know that Alison is in Japan, but I don't know where. I wonder if it's anywhere near Tokyo...

7 comments:

TOS said...

Change your ticket! It is MUCH shorter from NRT to JFK than going via SFO... trust me - I was a Japanese major remember? ;-)

Honestly Japan is cake - it is by far one of the easier places to go in Asia. People do speak English in Tokyo (esp. in the airport) but learning some basic Japanese would be very helpful - English may be required to graduate high school there but that doesn't mean anyone speaks it well...

I can make you a list of places to go/see and basic Nihongo - we should go to the gym some night this weekend and talk it over!

Anonymous said...

OMB! This is so love, angel, music, and baby all rolled into one! You're gonna be the biggest (definitely the tallest) thing in Tokyo since Godzilla. Fierce!

Konnichiwa, Chris-san *bows* (or bends over, you can never tell...)

d-town said...

I was petrified of my ten-hour flight to Buenos Aires a couple of months ago, but it honestly wasn't as bad as I feared. Thanks to some sleeping pills, it felt more like a five-hour California flight.

Sounds like a fun trip. I'm itching to plan my next one.

sumanesq said...

Can't wait!!! I can't believe I'm heading over in less than three weeks. It'll be a blast to have you there!

DC said...

one word.... Shibuya... oh also Roppongi.... testify!

TOS said...

and even though Gwen Stefanie has murdered it for years to come - Harajuku is exceedingly cool...

Chris said...

Tos: I know the flight to JFK is ultimately shorter. But I wanted more miles. Also stopping in SF breaks it up quite nicely.

Kiat: Suman is taller than I am so I'm sure the two of us walking around will be quite a sight

Taylor: I plan on bringing a bunch of sleeping pills with me...um Tos, maybe we can work something out?

Suman: SO EXCITED!!!

Dale: Gonna be staying in Roppongi so I've got that covered. Def will check out Shibuya.

Now all I need is a crash course in Japanese. Maybe I'll try one of those CD thingies. If any of you see me walking down the street with my headphones on, mumbling to myself, you