Tuesday, May 23, 2006

No More Casual Friday

The uber-boss has sent out an email reiterating the company's dress code policy. Obvi this was only directed to me, as I would most often roll into work in jeans and a t-shirt. Definitely not up to code. Whatevs, I don't mind that I know have to actually look professional. What bothers me is that he also said "we do not have a casual Friday." Huh? Well we certainly did have a casual Friday. So why the change? I think it's cause he's older, and older people just don't really like casual Friday. In my opinion it's a stupid move. While it might seem trivial, casual Friday is probably the easiest and cheapest thing you can do to boost employee morale. It just makes us happier.

Maybe I'll go on strike and institute my own casual friday. Fire me bitches. See if I care...

3 comments:

Carrie Broadshoulders said...

Ugh. Not only do we not have casual Friday, but I have to wear a suit every single day. And I'm not a lawyer or anything that pays enough to actually deal with having to wear a suit. And I have zero interaction with anyone who actually sits outside my office. So why do I have to wear a suit? Because I work for a company run by old white men who wear suits everyday.

And their latest attempt at boosting employee morale? Our office will now close at...wait for it...FIVE PM on Fridays!!!! Just during the Summer of course.

5pm? Wow. Thanks.

d-town said...

i'm the one person in my position company-wide who snubs his nose at wearing a suit/jacket/tie/combination unless at an event or external meeting. i'm sure as hell not putting on a suit for my co-workers. i dare someone to say anything to me about it.

TOS said...

I am the same way... I defy the dress code set by my boss (which he doesn't really enforce, he ain't dumb b/c he knows I will either disregard it or make him pay for it) and I actually will take the credit for getting the entire USAirways corporate HQ business casual every day after I quit in 1999 and wrote such a nastygram on my exit interview that the senior VP of sales called me. I read him the riot act (we were business FORMAL 4 days a week and just business casual on Fridays in those olden days) about how biz casual was something the employees liked, were motivated by and best of all he could get all that employee goodwill for FREE just by letting people wear some dockers...

Within one day the entire sales division was business casual in the office and within 6 months the rest of the old HQ in Crystal City was biz casual. I'm taking my well deserved credit - for once my big mouth did me some good! :-)

FIGHT BACK SISTA!