Wednesday, November 30, 2005

My First Mileage Run

As the New Year approaches, frequent fliers everywhere are making a list and checking it twice. Do they have status secured for next year? Unfortunately, I don't. Which means that I have to take my very first mileage run (Read this article for a good explanation of what I mileage run is). Currently I have 41,403 elite qualifying miles, and I need 50,000 to keep premier executive for next year, meaning I'm 8,597 miles short. That's kind of a lot. I checked Europe, I checked Asia, but nothing was cheap. After reading the above referenced article, I decided to check out Anchorage, Alaska and sure enough, came up with a cheap enough ticket. So here's the trip I'm taking next Saturday (Dec 10):

Washington National (DCA) - NY, LaGuardia (LGA) 10:00 - 11:10
NY, LaGuardia (LGA) - Denver, CO (DEN) 13:40 - 16:05
Denver, CO (DEN) - Anchorage, AK (ANC) 17:26 - 21:11
Anchorage, AK (ANC) - Denver, CO (DEN) 23:30 - 06:34
Denver, CO (DEN) - Pittburgh, PA (PIT) 07:50 - 12:37
Pittsburgh (PIT) - Washington National (DCA) 16:00 - 16:57

Total elite qualifying miles: 8,730 which will put me 133 miles over the 50 thou mark. Kinda cutting it close I know, but it's definitely worth it. And the total cost was about $400. Not bad at all.

Twin Sister is going to be pissed that I'm missing White Party @ Nation though...

2 comments:

TOS said...

Much better than a shorter trip & 200 bucks for the lame double EQM offer they have... what a rip, just double eqms and only until 12/15 - you run is very cool, i wish i could do one myself, i am only at 32,000 eqms with 1 trip to SFO and that is it, I need to do something so i can get to at least 40k so i can get the upgrades or the triple miles in march, when i think i may go across the pond so it would be worth it!

Jack said...

It doesn't seem like you are spending too much quality "get to know Anchorage time".