Monday, October 24, 2005

9 principles that frequent flyers know, yet most infrequent flyers don’t

This is a pretty interesting thread on FlyerTalk. Some of the things listed are really pretty valuable information. I've re-posted the 9 things originally listed by FT'er ButIsItArt, check out the thread for more:

1. Ticket prices are volatile.
2. Frequent flier miles really aren't worthless, and status really does count for something.
3. Sometimes the best seats are not in First Class.
4. First Class seats are not necessarily more expensive than Economy seats.
5. Low Cost Carriers do not necessarily offer the lowest fare for any given route.
6. All US carriers’ products are not essentially the same.
7. Trying to show airline personnel “who’s boss” will usually not result in better service.
8. The amount of Denied Boarding compensation is in some part quite negotiable.
9. Frequent flyers don’t think they are better than infrequent flyers; we just know how to play the game better.

All of these things are key, and one more as well, (posted by VPescado):

In case of irregular ops (weather delays, etc...), as soon as possible, you should be:
-Thinking about all of the alternate routings, while:
-Waiting on hold on your cell phone to reservations, while:
-Sprinting to the RCC (lounge).

That last one isn't so helpful if you don't have a lounge card, but I can't tell you how many times I've been saved, being stuck in O'Hare or Denver due to weather, simply by calling reservations rather then standing in the miles long line. Most people don't realize that they can also re-book you over the phone, which saves a ton of time and hassle, and often means you get that last seat on that last flight out rather then being stuck in a hotel, or worse, on an airport cot.

UPDATE: BTW, I do have an RCC card, but thanks Kiat for offering :-)

3 comments:

TOS said...

Listen to the boy he knows! I don't know how people get along without doing all these things - thankfully they are like second nature to me. But I am a little obsessed (like Ms. Vodka here) with flying...

Be particularly careful to rule #7 - I used to be one of the lowpaid employees behind the counter. Let me tell you the $6.50/hour (1998) was NOT WORTH the nastiness people spewed at me - especially the rich businessmen. Don't fuck with the airline staff, be courteous and nice, you don't have to be a doormate but don't think by waving that Premier card and shouting you'll end up getting there faster or upgraded!

More like your luggage will go to Portland,OR rather than Portland, ME - I don't care if you've already checked your bag up front. If you were a nasty bitch to me I'd take a little walk down to the ramp and find your bag, re-tag it and send it on it's merry way. Have fun getting it back - you know how chaotic the airlines are :-)

Ahhh the good old days!

Anonymous said...

Gurrrrl, gimme $50 and I'll add you to my RCC membership as a "domestic partner".

LOL! Muah.

gigitom said...

I am a jet-lagged weary frequent flyer who just blogged and blogged about flying...My specialty is really tongue-in-cheek witty stuff but there isn't too much of that in being a Frequent Flyer, especially when you're tired. If interested, check it out at "My Word! (resistance is futile)"